Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Getting situated.

Howdy folks, and welcome to a new blog dedicated to helping parents, teachers, and mentors connect children, and ourselves, to the natural world around us. This blog will be at least bi-weekly and cover a wide range of topics and activities.

In order for this to be a greater success I am asking 2 favors of you the readers. First, please send in your ideas of activities you enjoy doing with your children. They can be local events, or things you do to get your children interested in the outdoors. Secondly, if you find the information here useful, and perhaps entertaining, please tell your friends about it. My goal is to reach as many people as possible and help our children gain a better understanding of the world around them through direct, enjoyable experiences.

If you want to receive the email version of this blog, please send me an email to asinglefootstep@gmail.com. So here is the first activity.

Getting Situated:
Head outside and learn where the cardinal directions are with your kids. You do not have to know your self yet. Simply get a compass and head outside. If you do not have a compass wait until early morning or evening and watch the sun rise or set. It will not be exactly East or West, unless you do it on either equinox, but it will give a good approximation.

By getting oriented to the cardinal directions, you begin to put you and kids in a relationship to the natural world. You can then play the game of trying to work out where you are any place in town.

If you have little ones, under 4 or 5, start by simply watching the sun rise or set one day this week. Or perhaps the sun and the moon this week. That's it for this time. See you later.

4 comments:

  1. Lookin' good! I added this blog to my post on Children's Outdoor Environments, and I look forward to your updates, Shawn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shawn. It's great to come across another Prescott alumni. This blog looks great, and I'll be linking here in my Saturday "Weekly Roundup" from Conservation Gardening. Good luck with this new venture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawn,
    This is awesome! I am hoping to incorporate some of your ideas into my classroom--this gives me the perfect "educational" excuse to get my Social Studies students outside. :-) I'll share any good ideas as they come to me or things we do in class that you may be interested in. I hope you are doing well! Thank You! Lou~

    ReplyDelete